Graphium eurypylus (Great Jay)
Graphium eurypylus, also called Great Jay is a butterfly from . The first description was in 1758 by Linnaeus. The wingspan is about 7 – 8 cm. This butterfly is a member of the family PAPILIONIDAE. The basic colour of Graphium eurypylus is black. A large number of yellow or greenish spots dominate the wings.
Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are black. At the outer edge there is a chain of tiny yellow or greenish spots. At the inner edge there is a chain of longish spots. In the middle of the wing there is a chain of big yellow or greenish spots.
The underside of Graphium eurypylus is very similar to the upside. But, the basic colour is dark-brown. The spots are pale.
The hind wings of Graphium eurypylus are black. The edge is wavy. At the outer edge there is a chain of tiny yellow or greenish spots. Next to the body there is a big yellow or greenish area.
The underside is very similar to the upside. But, there are some additional red spots.
The body (abdomen) is gray. The thorax and the head are also gray. The underside of all parts is yellowish.
Sex differences: ---
Graphium eurypylus is a butterfly from the Australasia / Indomalaya (Australia) ecozone. You can observe this butterfly in the whole ecozone.
- Artabotrys speciosus
- Goniothalamus macranthus
- Melodorum siamensis
- Polyalthia longifolia
- Uvaria curtisii
- Michelia champaca
The first description of this butterfly was in 1758 by Linnaeus. There are a lot of subspecies.
- Graphium eurypylus aloricus [Fruhstorfer]
- Graphium eurypylus artofasciatus [Lathy]
- Graphium eurypylus cheronus [Jordan, 1909]
- Graphium eurypylus extensus [Rothschild, 1895]
- Graphium eurypylus gordion [C. & R. Felder, 1865]
- Graphium eurypylus insularis [Rothschild]
- Graphium eurypylus lepidus [Fruhstorfer]
- Graphium eurypylus lycaon [C. & R. Felder, 1865]
- Graphium eurypylus lycaonides [Rothschild, 1895]
- Graphium eurypylus macronius [Jordan]
- Graphium eurypylus mecisteus [Distant, 1885]
- Graphium eurypylus melampus [Rothschild]
- Graphium eurypylus nyctimus [Waterhouse & Lyell, 1914]
- Graphium eurypylus pamphylus [Felder]
- Graphium eurypylus sallastinus [Fruhstorfer, 1902]
- Graphium eurypylus sallastius [Staudinger, 1895]
- Graphium eurypylus sangira [Oberthür, 1879]
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-no entry- (as at 14.10.2010)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-no entry- (as at 12.08.2010)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-no entry- (as at 2010) (see: www. redlist.org/)
Similar and closely-related species
Graphium eurypylus Linnaeus 1758
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamilie: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: LEPTOCIRCINI
- Genus: GRAPHIUM
- Specific name: EURYPYLUS