Graphium macareus (Lesser Zebra)
Graphium macareus, also called Lesser Zebra is a butterfly from . The first description was in 1819 by Godart. The wingspan is about 7 – 8 cm. This butterfly is a member of the family PAPILIONIDAE. The basic colour of Graphium macareus is dark-brown. Many white stripes dominate the wings.
Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are dark-brown. At the outer edge there is a chain of white spots. Many, white stripes dominate the wing.
The underside of Graphium macareus is very similar to the upside. The basic colour is brown.
The hind wings of Graphium macareus are dark-brown. The edge is wavy. At the outer edge there is a chain of white spots. Many, white stripes dominate the wing.
The underside is very similar to the upside. The basic colour is brown.
The body (abdomen) is black-white-striped. The thorax and the head are also black-white-striped.
Sex differences: ---
Graphium macareus is a butterfly from the Australasia / Indomalaya (Australia) ecozone. You can observe this butterfly from Myanmar until the Philippines and Indonesia.
The first description of this butterfly was in 1819 by Godart. There are ten subspecies.
- Graphium macareus albinovanus [Fruhstorfer, 1908]
- Graphium macareus burmensis [Moonen, 1984]
- Graphium macareus indicus [Rothschild, 1895]
- Graphium macareus indochinensis [Fruhstorfer, 1901]
- Graphium macareus lioneli [Fruhstorfer, 1902]
- Graphium macareus macaristus [Grose-Smith, 1887]
- Graphium macareus mitis [Jordan]
- Graphium macareus palawanicola [Koçak, 1980]
- Graphium macareus perakensis [Fruhstorfer, 1899]
- Graphium macareus xanthosoma [Staudinger, 1889]
This butterfly mimics Parantica aglea.
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
Similar and closely-related species
Graphium macareus Godart 1819
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamilie: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: LEPTOCIRCINI
- Genus: GRAPHIUM
- Specific name: MACAREUS