Hypolimnas bolina (Common Eggfly, Große Eierfliege)
Hypolimnas bolina also called Common Eggfly or Great Eggfly is a common . The first description was in 1758 by Linnaeus. With a wingspan of 8.0 – 9.0 cm the Common Eggfly is a small member of the family NYMPHALIDAE. The butterfly is black with white, orange and blue spots. The Common Eggfly is a good example for sexual dimorphism.
Photos for easy identification
The forewings are black. At the margin there are two chains of tiny white spots. There is a white spot at the pinion. In the middle of wing there are some white spots. In back there is a orange area.
The underside is a copy from upside, but the ground is brown.
The hind wings are black and have no tails. The margin is ridged. In the middle of wing there is a whitish area.
The underside is brown. At the margin there are three chains of white spots. There is a whitish band crossing wing.
The body is black.
Sex differences: The male has two white spots at forewings. One of them is bordered to iridescent blue. In the middle of hind wings there is a big white spot. Around this spot there is an iridescent blue.
Acanthaceae, Colvolvulaceae, Malvaceae, Urticaceae
The first description of this butterfly was in 1758 by Linnaeus. There are some subspecies.
- Hypolimnas bolina nerina [Fabricius, 1775]
- Hypolimnas bolina montrouzieri [Butler]
- Hypolimnas bolina pulchra [Butler]
- Hypolimnas bolina pallescens [Butler]
- Hypolimnas bolina lisianassa [Cramer]
- Hypolimnas bolina jacintha [Drury, 1773]
- Hypolimnas bolina kezia [Butler]
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-no entry- (as at 23.06.2005)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-no entry- (as at 19.08.2005)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-no entry- (as at 2004) (see: www.redlist.org/)
Similar and closely-related species
Hypolimnas bolina Linnaeus 1758
Great Eggfly, Common Eggfly
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: NYMPHALIDAE
- Subfamilie: NYMPHALINAE
- Tribe: JUNONIINI
- Genus: HYPOLIMNAS
- Specific name: BOLINA