Papilio bromius (Broad Green-Banded Swallowtail)
Papilio bromius , also called Broad Green-Banded Swallowtail is a simple . The first description was in 1845 by Doubleday. With a wingspan of 10.0 – 11.0 cm the Broad Green-Banded Swallowtail is a big member of the family PAPILIONIDAE. The butterfly is black with a broad, green band. Hind wings have no tails.
Photos for easy identification
The forewings are black. At the margin there is a chain of very small green spots. In the middle of wing there is a broad green band. At the pinion there is an isolated green spot.
The underside is brown. The veins are dark. In back there are some little white spots.
The hind wings are black and have no tails. The margin is ridged. At the margin there is a chains of green spots. There is a very broad green band on wing.
The underside is brown. At the margin there is a chain of golden spots.
The body is black, but the underside is brown.
Sex differences: The female is darker than male.
- Calodendrum capense
- Toddalia asiatica
The first description of this butterfly was in 1845 by Doubleday. There are some subspecies.
- Papilio bromius chrapkowskii [Suffert, 1904]
- Papilio bromius chrapkowskoides [Storace]
- Papilio bromius cyclopis [Rothschild & Jordan]
- Papilio bromius furvus [Joicey & Talbot]
- Papilio bromius interjacens [Storace]
- Papilio bromius ufipa [Carcasson]
There are many similar species.
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-no entry- (as at 23.06.2005)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-no entry- (as at 19.08.2005)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-no entry- (as at 2004) (see: www.redlist.org/)
Similar and closely-related species
Papilio bromius Doubleday 1845
Broad Green-Banded Swallowtail
Grüner, breit gebänderter Schwalbenschwanz
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: PAPILIONINI
- Genus: PAPILIO
- Specific name: BROMIUS