Papilio echerioides (White-Banded Swallowtail)
Papilio echerioides, also called White-Banded Swallowtail is a butterfly from . The first description was in 1868 by Trimen. The wingspan is about 7 – 8 cm. This butterfly is a member of the family PAPILIONIDAE. The basic colour of Papilio echerioides is black. White or yellowish bands and spots dominate the wings.
Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are black. In the middle of the wing there is a chain of big, white or yellowish spots.
The underside of Papilio echerioides is very similar to the upside. But, the basic colour is brown.
The hind wings of Papilio echerioides are black. The edge is wavy. A very broad, white or yellowish band dominates the wing. At the outer edge there is a chain of tiny, white or yellowish spots.
The underside is brown. Next to the body there is a red-brown area with black spots and stripes. In the middle of the wing there is a yellowish band with black veins and stripes. At the outer edge there is a chain of little, yellowish spots.
The body (abdomen) is black. The thorax and the head are black. The underside of all parts is brown.
Sex differences: ---
Papilio echerioides is a butterfly from the Afrotropic (Africa) ecozone. You can observe this butterfly from South Africa until Sudan.
- Vepris undulata
The first description of this butterfly was in 1868 by Trimen. There are many subspecies.
- Papilio echerioides ambangulu Clifton & Collins, 1997
- Papilio echerioides chirindanus [van Son, 1956]
- Papilio echerioides homeyeri [Plötz, 1880]
- Papilio echerioides joiceyi [Gabriel, 1945]
- Papilio echerioides kiellandi [Clifton & Collins, 1997]
- Papilio echerioides leucospilus [Rothschild, 1902]
- Papilio echerioides nioka [Hancock, 1989]
- Papilio echerioides nyiro [Carcasson, 1962]
- Papilio echerioides oscari [Rothschild, 1902]
- Papilio echerioides pseudowertheri [Kielland, 1990]
- Papilio echerioides shirensis [Hancock, 1987]
- Papilio echerioides wertheri [Karsch, 1898]
- Papilio echerioides zoroastres [Druce, 1878]
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-no entry- (as at 23.06.2005)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-no entry- (as at 19.08.2005)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-no entry- (as at 2004) (see: www.redlist.org/)
Similar and closely-related species
Papilio echerioides Trimen 1868
White-Banded Swallowtail, Zoroaster Swallowtail
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: PAPILIONINI
- Genus: PAPILIO
- Specific name: ECHERIOIDES