Photos for easy identification
The forewings are black. In the pinion there is a mellow yellow stripe. In the middle of wing there is a very broad mellow yellow band.
The underside is a copy of upside, but nearby the body there are some small yellow stripes.
The hind wings are black and have no tails. The margin is ridged. Nearby the body there is a big mellow yellow area.
The underside is black. In back there are one blue and some orange spots. At the wing leading edge there is a black, blue and orange eye.
The body is black, but the underside is yellow.
Sex differences: None
Here you can see some macro photos of Papilio euchenor.
The first description of this butterfly was in 1829 by Guérin Ménéville. There are some subspecies.
- Papilio euchenor comma [Joicey & Noakes]
- Papilio euchenor depilis [Rothschild]
- Papilio euchenor eutropius [Janson]
- Papilio euchenor godarti [Montrouzier]
- Papilio euchenor misimanus [Rothschild]
- Papilio euchenor misolensis [Rothschild]
- Papilio euchenor naucles [Rothschild]
- Papilio euchenor neohannoveranus [Rothschild]
- Papilio euchenor novohibernicus [Rothschild]
- Papilio euchenor obsolescens [Rothschild]
- Papilio euchenor rosselanus [Rothschild]
- Papilio euchenor sudestensis [Rothschild]
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-no entry- (as at 23.06.2005)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-no entry- (as at 19.08.2005)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-no entry- (as at 2004) (see: www.redlist.org/)
Similar and closely-related species
Papilio euchenor Guérin Ménéville 1829
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: PAPILIONINI
- Genus: PAPILIO
- Specific name: EUCHENOR