Papilio nephelus is a
Photos for easy identification
Here you can see some photos of Papilio nephelus. Papilio nephelus is a member of the
The fore wings are black. There is a chain of white spots.
The underside of Papilio nephelus is very similar to the upside. At the back edge there is a white spot.
The hind wings of Papilio nephelus are black and they have tails. The edge is wavy. The wing is dominated by a broad, yellow area.
The underside is black. In the middle of the wing there are many white spots. At the outer edge there is a chain of white spots.
The body is black.
Sex differences: ---
Papilio nephelus is a butterfly from the Australasia / Indomalaya (Australia) ecozone. You can observe this butterfly in many countries. From Nepal to the South of China and from Myanmar to Indonesia.
The first description of this butterfly was in 1836 by Boisduval. There are many subspecies.
- Papilio nephelus albolineatus [Forbes]
- Papilio nephelus annulus [Pendlebury, 1936]
- Papilio nephelus chaon [Westwood, 1844] Yellow Helen
- Papilio nephelus chaonulus [Fruhstorfer]
- Papilio nephelus ducenarius [Fruhstorfer, 1908]
- Papilio nephelus siporanus [Hagan]
- Papilio nephelus sunatus [Corbet, 1940] Back and White Helen
- Papilio nephelus tellonus [Fruhstorfer]
- Papilio nephelus uranus [Weymer]
Here you can see some macro photos of Papilio nephelus.
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-no entry- (as at 12.02.2008)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora:
-no entry- (as at 19.08.2005)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-no entry- (as at 2008)
Similar and closely-related species
Papilio nephelus Boisduval 1836
Yellow Helen, Back and White Helen
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: PAPILIONINI
- Genus: PAPILIO
- Specific name: NEPHELUS