Papilio thoas (King Swallowtail)
Photos for easy identification
The forewings are dark brown or black. In the middle of wing there is a yellow band.
The underside of Papilio thoas is similar to the upside. But, there are some differences. At the outer edge there is an additional chain of yellow spots. And at the front edge there are some yellow stripes.
The hind wings of Papilio thoas are dark brown or black and they have tails. The edge is wavy. Next to the body there is a large yellow area. At the outer edge there is a chain of yellow spots.
The underside is yellow. The outer edge is dark brown and contains chains of white and yellow spots.
The body (abdomen) is yellow and has a black stripe. The thorax is black and has two yellow stripes. The head is black and has yellow spots. The underside of all parts is yellow.
Sex differences: None.
- Citrus aurantifolia
- Citrus limon
- Citrus reticulata
- Citrus sinensis
- Esenbeckia pumila
- Monnieria trifolia
- Ruta graveolens
- Zanthoxylum fagara
- Zanthoxylum martinicense
- Zanthoxylum rhoifolium
- Piper aduncum
- Piper belemense
- Piper peltatum
- Piper umbellatum
The first description of this butterfly was in 1771 by Linnaeus. There are six subspecies.
- Papilio thoas autocles [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
- Papilio thoas brasiliensis [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
- Papilio thoas cinyras [Ménétriés, 1857]
- Papilio thoas nealces [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
- Papilio thoas oviedo [Gundlach, 1866]
- Papilio thoas thoantiades [Burmeister]
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
Similar and closely-related species
Papilio thoas Linnaeus 1771
King Swallowtail, Thoas Swallowtail
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: PAPILIONINI
- Genus: PAPILIO
- Specific name: THOAS