Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are black. In the middle of the wing there is a yellow-green area with a yellow spot.
The underside of Parides iphidamas is dark-brown. Two yellow spots dominate the wing.
The hind wings of Parides iphidamas are black. The edge is wavy. A red area dominates the wing.
The underside is dark-brown. A chain of red spots dominates the wing.
The body (abdomen) is dark-brown. The thorax is black and it has red spots. The head is black. The underside of all parts is dark-brown and it has red spots.
Sex differences: The basic colour of the female is brown. The fore wings have a yellow area. A large, red area dominates the hind wings.
Parides iphidamas is a butterfly from the Neotropic (South America) ecozone. You can observe this butterfly from Mexico until Peru, Colombia and Venezuela.
- Aristolochia maxima
- Aristolochia pilosa
- Aristolochia odoratissima
- Aristolochia ringens
The first description of this butterfly was in 1793 by Fabricius. There are six subspecies.
- Parides iphidamas ayabacensis [Joicey & Talbot, 1918]
- Parides iphidamas calogyna [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
- Parides iphidamas elatos [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
- Parides iphidamas gorgonae [Vélez & Salazar, 1991]
- Parides iphidamas phalias [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
- Parides iphidamas teneates [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
Hier ist die Unterart Parides iphidamas calogyna zu sehen (links Männchen, rechts Weibchen). Die Flügelspannweite beträgt 8 - 9 cm.
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
Parides iphidamas Fabricius 1793
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: TROIDINI
- Subtribe: TROIDINA
- Genus: PARIDES
- Specific name: IPHIDAMAS