Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are black. At the middle of the wing there are white spots and a green area with one tiny, yellow spot. The wing tip is dark-brown.
The underside of Parides neophilus is dark-brown or black. Some white or yellowish spots dominate the wing.
The hind wings of Parides neophilus are black. The edge is very wavy. In the middle of the wing there is a red area with black veins.
The underside is black. A chain of red spots dominates the wing.
The body (abdomen) is brown. The thorax and the head are black with red spots. The underside of all parts is brown or black and it has red spots.
Sex differences: The basic colour of the female is brown. The hind wings (upside and underside) have a chain of large, red spots. On the fore wings there is a white area.
Parides neophilus is a butterfly from the Neotropic (South America) ecozone. You can observe this butterfly from Venezuela and Peru until Brazil and Argentina.
- Aristolochia burchellii
- Aristolochia colombiana
- Aristolochia trilobata
- Citrus sp.
The first description of this butterfly was in 1837 by Geyer. There are seven subspecies.
- Parides neophilus anaximenes [C. & R. Felder, 1862]
- Parides neophilus consus [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
- Parides neophilus ecbolius [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
- Parides neophilus eurybates [Gray, 1853]
- Parides neophilus napoensis [Varea, 1975]
- Parides neophilus olivencius [Bates, 1861]
- Parides neophilus parianus [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
Here you can see the subspecies Parides neophilus consus (mle left, female right). The wingspan is about 8 - 9 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides neophilus ecbolius (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 8 - 9 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides neophilus eurybates (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 8 - 9 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides neophilus olivencius (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 8 - 9 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides neophilus parianus (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 7 - 8 cm.
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
Parides neophilus Geyer 1837
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: TROIDINI
- Subtribe: TROIDINA
- Genus: PARIDES
- Specific name: NEOPHILUS