Atrophaneura neptunus (Yellow Club-tail)
Atrophaneura neptunus, also called Yellow Clubtail is a . The first description was in 1840 by Guérin-Méneville. The wingspan is about 10 – 12 cm. This butterfly is a member of the family PAPILIONIDAE. Atrophaneura neptunus is dark-brown or black. It has white areas and red spots. The half of the abdomen is yellow.
Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are black. Two white areas with black veins dominate the wing.
The underside of Atrophaneura neptunus is very similar to the upside.
The hind wings of Atrophaneura neptunus are black and they have tails. The edge is wavy. Some red spots dominate the wing.
The underside is very similar to the upside. But, the spots are dark-red.
The body (abdomen) is black and yellow. The thorax is black. The head is black. The underside of the thorax has red hairs.
Sex differences: ---
Atrophaneura neptunus (Yellow Clubtail) is a butterfly from the Australasia / Indomalaya (Australia) ecozone. You can observe this butterfly from Myanmar until Indonesia.
- Aristolochia sp.
The first description of this butterfly was in 1840 by Guérin-Méneville. There are six subspecies.
- Atrophaneura neptunus dacasini [Schröder, 1976]
- Atrophaneura neptunus doris [Rothschild]
- Atrophaneura neptunus fehri [Honrath]
- Atrophaneura neptunus matbai [Schröder & Treadaway, 1990]
- Atrophaneura neptunus padanganus [Rothschild]
- Atrophaneura neptunus sumatra [Hagen]
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-No entry- (as at 12.02.2008)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-No entry- (as at 19.08.2005)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-No entry- (as at 2008)
Similar and closely-related species
Atrophaneura neptunus Guérin-Méneville 1840
Yellow Clubtail, Yellow-bodied Clubtail
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: TROIDINI
- Genus: ATROPHANEURA
- Specific name: NEPTUNUS