Atrophaneura semperi is a . The first description was in 1861 by C. & R. Felder. The wingspan is about 12 – 15 cm. This butterfly is a member of the family PAPILIONIDAE. Atrophaneura semperi is black. The body has red hairs. On the underside of the hind wings there are some red spots. The females are dark-brown and they have on the upside of hindwings salmon spots.
Photos for easy identification
Here you can see some photos of Atrophaneura semperi (male). Atrophaneura semperi is a member of the
The fore wings are black.
The underside of Atrophaneura semperi is very similar to the upside.
The hind wings of Atrophaneura semperi are black. The edge is a little bit wavy. Next to the body there is a big, light-brown area.
The underside is black. Some red spots dominate the wing.
The body (abdomen) is red. The thorax and the hed are red. The underside is red and black.
Sex differences: The female covers the upper range of the wing-span. The basic colour of the female is brown. The veins are black. The hind wings have salmon spots on their upside.
Atrophaneura semperi is a butterfly from the Australasia / Indomalaya (Australia) ecozone. You can observe this butterfly in Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines.
The first description of this butterfly was in 1861 by C. & R. Felder. There are nine subspecies.
- Atrophaneura semperi albofasciata [Semper, 1892]
- Atrophaneura semperi aphthonia [Rothschild, 1908]
- Atrophaneura semperi baglantis [Rothschild, 1908]
- Atrophaneura semperi imogene [Schröder & Treadaway, 1979]
- Atrophaneura semperi justini [Page & Treadaway, 2003]
- Atrophaneura semperi lizae [Schröder & Treadaway, 1984]
- Atrophaneura semperi melanotus [Staudinger, 1889]
- Atrophaneura semperi sorsogona [Page & Treadaway, 1996]
- Atrophaneura semperi supernotatus [Rothschild, 1895]
Here you can see the subspecies Atrophaneura semperi supernotatus (male left/ female right).
Here you can see some macro photos of Atrophaneura semperi.
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-No entry- (as at 12.02.2008)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-No entry- (as at 19.08.2005)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-No entry- (as at 2008)
Similar and closely-related species
Atrophaneura semperi C. & R. Felder 1861
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: TROIDINI
- Genus: ATROPHANEURA
- Specific name: SEMPERI