Dichorragia nesimachus (Constable, Wachtmeister)
Photos for easy identification
The forewings are dark brown, dark green and marmorate. At the margin there is a white sinuous line. At the wing leading edge there is a broad white band. There are some little white spots on wing.
The underside is dark brown. All white spots and bands and sinuous lines from upside are also there. At the wing leading edge there are two bluish spots.
The hind wings are dark brown, dark green and marmorate. Hind wings have no tails. The margin is ridged. At the margin there are a white sinuous line and a chain of black spots. There are some bluish spots on wing.
The underside is a copy of upside, but the chain of black spots is broader than upside.
The body is dark brown.
Sex differences: None
The Constable (Dichorragia nesimachus) is a butterfly of the Australasia / Indomalaya ecozone (Australia) and the Palaearctic ecozone (Asia). The distribution extend from the East of India to Japan and from the South of China to Myanmar to Thailand, Philippines and Indonesia.
The first description of this butterfly was in 1846 by Boisduval. There are many subspecies.
- Dichorragia nesimachus deiokes [Fruhstorfer, 1913]
- Dichorragia nesimachus derdas [Fruhstorfer]
- Dichorragia nesimachus formosanus [Fruhstorfer]
- Dichorragia nesimachus harpalycus [Fruhstorfer]
- Dichorragia nesimachus machates [Fruhstorfer, 1903]
- Dichorragia nesimachus mannus [Fruhstorfer]
- Dichorragia nesimachus nesiotes [Fruhstorfer]
- Dichorragia nesimachus nesseus [Grose-Smith, 1893]
- Dichorragia nesimachus niasicus [Fruhstorfer]
- Dichorragia nesimachus peisandrus [Fruhstorfer]
- Dichorragia nesimachus peisistratus [Fruhstorfer]
- Dichorragia nesimachus pelurius [Fruhstorfer]
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-no entry- (as at 14.06.2006)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-no entry- (as at 19.08.2005)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-no entry- (as at 2004) (see: www.redlist.org/)
Similar and closely-related species
Dichorragia nesimachus Boisduval 1846
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: NYMPHALIDAE
- Subfamilie: CYRESTINAE
- Tribe: PSEUDERGOLINI
- Genus: DICHORRAGIA
- Specific name: NESIMACHUS