Graphium antiphates (Fivebar Swordtail)
Graphium antiphates, also called Fivebar Swordtail is a very nice butterfly from . The first description was in 1775 by Cramer. The wingspan is about 7.0 – 8.0 cm. The Fivebar Swordtail is a member of the family PAPILIONIDAE. The butterfly is white with some black stripes on the wing. Hind wings have long tails.
Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are white. There are six black stripes on wing. The margin is black. Nearby the body and around the largest black strip there is a greenish area.
The underside is a copy of upside, but the greenish areas are darker.
The hind wings are white and have very long tails. The margin is ridged and black. Some black spots from underside show through the wing. In back there is an isolate black spot.
The underside is very colourful. Nearby the body the wing is green with black stripes and spots. The rest of wing is yellowish and contain a chain of orange spots an some little black spots. At the margin there are some black spots.
The body is black, but the underside is whitish.
Sex differences: None.
The Fivebar Swordtail (Graphium antiphates) is a butterfly of the Australasia / Indomalaya ecozone (Australia) and the Palaearctic ecozone (Asiea). The distribution extend from Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines to Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, India and Mongolia.
- Desmos cochinchinensis
- Desmos lawii
- Melodorum siamensis
- Uvaria curtisii
- Uvaria grandiflora
- Uvaria microcarpa
- Michelia champaca
The first description of this butterfly was in 1775 by Cramer. There are some subspecies.
- Graphium antiphates alcibiades [Fruhstorfer]
- Graphium antiphates antiphonus [Fruhstorfer]
- Graphium antiphates balius [Jordan]
- Graphium antiphates ceylonicus [Eimer]
- Graphium antiphates itamputi [Butler, 1885]
- Graphium antiphates kalaoensis [Rothschild]
- Graphium antiphates naira [Moore]
- Graphium antiphates pompilius [Fabricius, 1787]
- Graphium antiphates pulauensis [Eliot, 1983]
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-no entry- (as at 14.06.2006)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-no entry- (as at 19.08.2005)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-no entry- (as at 2004) (see: www. redlist.org/)
Similar and closely-related species
Graphium antiphates Cramer 1775
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: PAPILIONINI
- Genus: PAPILIO
- Specific name: ANTIPHATES