Graphium decolor is a butterfly from . The first description was in 1888 by Staudinger. The wingspan is about 7 – 8 cm. This butterfly is a member of the family PAPILIONIDAE. The basic colour of Graphium decolor is white or yellowish. Some black bars dominate the fore wing.
Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are two coloured. The inner part of the wing is white or yellowish and contains four black bars. Between the black bars there is a greenish area. The outer part of the wing is black and contains two yellowish stripes.
The underside of Graphium decolor is very similar to the upside. But, the outer part of the wing is dark-brown.
The hind wings of Graphium decolor are two coloured and they have long tails. The edge is wavy. The inner part of the wing is white or yellowish and contains one black bar. Some black spots from the underside shine through the wing. The outer part of the wing is black.
The underside is two coloured. The inner part of the wing is greenish and contains two black bars and one chain of black spots. The outer part of the wing is yellowish and contains a chain of black-orange spots. The outer edge is black.
The body (abdomen) is black. The thorax and the head are also black. The underside of all parts is yellowish.
Sex differences: ---
The first description of this butterfly was in 1888 by Staudinger. There are six subspecies.
- Graphium decolor atratus [Rothschild, 1895]
- Graphium decolor jamesi [Page & Treadaway, 2003]
- Graphium decolor neozebraica [Page, 1987]
- Graphium decolor rebeccae [Page & Treadaway, 2003]
- Graphium decolor sibuyana [Page, 1987]
- Graphium decolor tigris [Semper, 1892]
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-no entry- (as at 14.10.2010)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-no entry- (as at 12.08.2010)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-no entry- (as at 2010) (see: www. redlist.org/)
Similar and closely-related species
Graphium decolor Staudinger 1888
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamilie: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: LEPTOCIRCINI
- Genus: GRAPHIUM
- Specific name: DECOLOR