Graphium doson (Common Jay)
Graphium doson, also called Common Jay is a butterfly from . The first description was in 1864 by C. & R. Felder. The wingspan is about 7 – 8 cm. This butterfly is a member of the family PAPILIONIDAE. The basic colour of Graphium doson is black. Greenish spots dominate the wings.
Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are black. At the outer edge and at the inner edge there is a chain of little greenish spots. In the middle of the wing there is a chain of large greenish spots.
The underside of Graphium doson is very similar to the upside. But the basic colour is brown and all spots are pale.
The hind wings of Graphium doson are black. The edge is wavy. At the outer edge there is a chain of little greenish spots. Next to the body there is a large greenish area which contains only one black strip.
The underside is very similar to the upside. But, there are some additional red spots.
The body (abdomen) is black. The thorax and the head are also black.The underside of all parts is white or yellowish.
Sex differences: ---
Graphium doson is a butterfly from the Australasia / Indomalaya (Australia) ecozone. You can observe this butterfly from the India until Japan and Indonesia.
- Desmos cochinchinensis
- Miliusa tomentosa
- Polyalthia longfolia
- Uvaria microcarpa
- Magnolia coco
- Magnolia grandiflora
- Michelia alba
- Michelia champaca
- Michelia compressa
- Michelia fuscata
- Michelia oblonga
The first description of this butterfly was in 1864 by C. & R. Felder. There are many subspecies.
- Graphium doson axion [C. & R. Felder, 1864]
- Graphium doson eleius [Fruhstorfer]
- Graphium doson eurypylides [Staudinger, 1895]
- Graphium doson evemonides [Honrath, 1884]
- Graphium doson gyndes [Fruhstorfer, 1907]
- Graphium doson kajanga [Corbet, 1937]
- Graphium doson mikado [Leech, 1887]
- Graphium doson nauta [Tsukada & Nishiyama, 1980]
- Graphium doson perillus [Fruhstorfer, 1908]
- Graphium doson postianus [Fruhstorfer, 1902]
- Graphium doson rubroplaga [Rothschild, 1895]
- Graphium doson sankapura [Fruhstorfer, 1904]
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-no entry- (as at 14.10.2010)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-no entry- (as at 12.08.2010)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-no entry- (as at 2010) (see: www. redlist.org/)
Similar and closely-related species
Graphium doson C. & R. Felder 1864
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamilie: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: LEPTOCIRCINI
- Genus: GRAPHIUM
- Specific name: DOSON