Nymphalis canace (Blue Admiral, Blauer Admiral)
Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are black. The outer edge is wavy. In the wing tip there is a little white spot. At the wing leading edge there is a blue or white spot. At the outer edge there is a blue band.
The underside of Nymphalis canace is black and brown.
The hind wings of Nymphalis canace are black. The outer edge is strongly wavy. The wing is dominated by a broad, blue band. This band contains a chain of tiny black spots. At the outer edge there is a thin blue line.
The underside is black and brown.
The body is black.
Sex differences: None.
Here you can see some macro photos of Nymphalis canace.
Nymphalis canace is a butterfly from the Australasia / Indomalaya (Australia). The distribution extends from Malaysia to India and China. But you can also meet this butterfly in the Palaearctic (Asia) (Russia and Japan).
- Heterosmilax japonica
- Smilax aspericaulis
- Smilax bracteata
- Smilax china
- Smilax lanceifolia
- Smilax perfoliata
- Smilax riparia
- Smilax sebeana
- Smilax sieboldii
- Streptopus amplexifolius
The first description of this butterfly was in 1763 by Linnaeus. There are some subspecies.
- Nymphalis canace battakana [de Nicéville, 1896]
- Nymphalis canace benguetana [Semper, 1888]
- Nymphalis canace charonia [Drury, 1770]
- Nymphalis canace charonides [Stichel, 
- Nymphalis canace drilon [Fruhstorfer, 1912]
- Nymphalis canace haronica [Moore, 1879]
- Nymphalis canace ishima [Fruhstorfer, 1899]
- Nymphalis canace javanica [Fruhstorfer, 1912]
- Nymphalis canace maniliana [Fruhstorfer, 1912]
- Nymphalis canace muscosa [Tsukada & Nishiyama, 1979]
- Nymphalis canace nojaponicum [von Siebold, 1824]
- Nymphalis canace perakana [Distant, 1886]
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-no entry- (as at 23.06.2005)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-no entry- (as at 19.08.2005)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-no entry- (as at 2004) (see: www.redlist.org/)
Nymphalis canace Linnaeus 1763
In former times also:
- Vanessa canace
- Kaniska canace
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: NYMPHALIDAE
- Subfamily: NYMPHALINAE
- Tribe: NYMPHALINI
- Genus: NYMPHALIS
- Specific name: CANACE