Papilio fuscus is a butterfly from . The first description was in 1779 by Goeze. The wingspan is about 9 – 12 cm. This butterfly is a member of the family PAPILIONIDAE. The basic colour of Papilio fuscus is black. A big yellow area dominates the hind wing. This species is very variable. There are many subspecies.
Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are black.
The underside of Papilio fuscus is also black.
The hind wings of Papilio fuscus are black and they has tails. The edge is wavy. A big yellow area dominates the wing.
The underside is black. In the middle of the wing there are some big yellow spots.
The body (abdomen) is black. The thorax is black. The head is black.
Sex differences: ---
- Citrus ssp.
- Halfordia scleroxyla
- Microcitrus australasica
- Morinda citrifolia
- Zanthoxylum brachyacanthum
The first description of this butterfly was in 1779 by Goeze. There are many subspecies.
- Papilio fuscus alorensis [Rothschild, 1894]
- Papilio fuscus beccarii [Oberthür, 1880]
- Papilio fuscus canopinus [Rothschild, 1895]
- Papilio fuscus canopus [Westwood, 1842]
- Papilio fuscus capaneus [Westwood, 1843]
- Papilio fuscus cilix [Godman & Salvin, 1879]
- Papilio fuscus croton [Fruhstorfer]
- Papilio fuscus hasterti [Ribbe, 1907]
- Papilio fuscus hypsicles [Hewitson, 1868]
- Papilio fuscus hypsiclides [Rothschild, 1894]
- Papilio fuscus indicatus [Butler, 1876]
- Papilio fuscus lamponius [Fruhstorfer]
- Papilio fuscus lapathus [Fruhstorfer]
- Papilio fuscus ombiranus [Rothschild]
- Papilio fuscus pertinax [Wallace, 1865]
- Papilio fuscus porrothenus [Jordan]
- Papilio fuscus rotalita [Swinhoe, 1893]
- Papilio fuscus tenimberensis [Rothschild]
- Papilio fuscus thomsoni [Butler, 1884]
- Papilio fuscus umbrosus [Rothschild, 1894]
- Papilio fuscus vollenhovii [C. & R. Felder, 1865]
- Papilio fuscus xenophilus [Mathew, 1886]
Here you can see the subspecies Papilio fuscus indicatus (male left/ female right).
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-No entry- (as at 12.02.2008)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-No entry- (as at 19.08.2005)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-No entry- (as at 2008)
Similar and closely-related species
Papilio fuscus Goeze 1779
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: PAPILIONINI
- Genus: PAPILIO
- Specific name: FUSCUS