Papilio helenus (Red Helen, Rote Helene)
Papilio helenus, also called Red Helen is a
Photos for easy identification
Here you can see some photos of Papilio helenus (female). Papilio helenus is a member of the
The fore wings are black.
The underside of Papilio helenus is nearly a copy of upside. The basic colour is dark-brown. At the front edge there are four yellow stripes. At the outer edge there are many, yellow stripes.
The hind wings of Papilio helenus are black and they have tails. The edge is wavy. The wing is dominated by a broad, white or yellowish area. At the inner edge thereare two eye-spot. At the outer edge there is a chain of small red spots.
The underside is a copy from upside, but the red spots are bigger than the same spots on the upside of the wing..
The body is black, but the underside is dark-brown.
Sex differences: ---
Papilio helenus (Red Helen) is a butterfly from the Australasia / Indomalaya (Australia) ecozone. You can observe this butterfly in the geographic triangle India, Indonesia and the South of China.
- Citrus junos
- Citrus medica
- Citrus natsudaidai
- Citrus tachibana
- Citrus unshiu
- Euodia gabrifolia
- Euodia meliaefolia
- Fortunella japonica
- Phellodendron amurense
- Poncirus trifoliata
- Toddalia asiatica
- Zanthoxylum ailanthoides
- Zanthoxylum avicennae
- Zanthoxylum cuspidata
- Zanthoxylum nitidum
- Zanthoxylum rhetsa
The first description of this butterfly was in 1758 by Linnaeus. There are eleven subspecies.
Papilio helenus ashaverus [Staudinger]
- Papilio helenus biseriatus [Rothschild]
- Papilio helenus boloboca [Page & Treadaway, 1996]
- Papilio helenus enganius [Doherty]
- Papilio helenus fortunius [Fruhstorfer]
- Papilio helenus hystaspes [C. & R. Felder, 1862]
- Papilio helenus jindanus [Rothschild]
- Papilio helenus mangarinus [Rothschild]
- Papilio helenus mooreanus [Rothschild]
- Papilio helenus palawanicus [Staudinger, 1888]
- Papilio helenus tambora [Rothschild]
This butterfly flies in woody areas and also often in gardens.
Here you can see some macro photos of Papilio helenus.
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-no entry- (as at 12.02.2008)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora:
-no entry- (as at 19.08.2005)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-no entry- (as at 2008)
Similar and closely-related species
Papilio helenus Linnaeus 1758
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: PAPILIONINI
- Genus: PAPILIO
- Specific name: HELENUS