Papilio memnon (Great Mormon)
Papilio memnon, also called Great Memnon is a butterfly from . The first description was in 1758 by Linnaeus. The wingspan is about 13 – 15 cm. This butterfly is a member of the family PAPILIONIDAE. The basic colour of Papilio memnon is black. This species has a very strong sexual dimorphism.
Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are black.
The underside of Papilio memnon is dark-brown. At the outer edge there are many brown stripes. Next to the body there is a red spot.
The hind wings of Papilio memnon are black. The edge is wavy. The outer half of the wing has blue stripes.
The underside is dark-brown. The outer half of the wing is brown and contains two chains of black spots. Next to the body there are two red spots.
The body (abdomen) is black. The thorax and the head are also black.
Sex differences: The basic colour of the female is brown. The fore wings are light-brown and have many brown stripes. Next to the body there is a yellow spot. The hind wings are brown and they have tails. Next to the body there is a big white area with dark-brown veins. At the edge there is a chain of yellow spots. At the inner edge there is a black eye-spot.
- Atalantia buxifolia
- Citrus sp.
- Fortunella japonica
- Paramignya scandens
- Poncirus trifoliata
- Severinia buxifolia
- Toddalia asiatica
- Zanthoxylum ailanthoides
- Zanthoxylum nitidum
The first description of this butterfly was in 1758 by Linnaeus. There are many subspecies.
- Papilio memnon agenor [Linnaeus, 1768]
- Papilio memnon anceus [Cramer, 1779]
- Papilio memnon clathratus [Rothschild]
- Papilio memnon coeruleus [van Eecke]
- Papilio memnon heronus [Fruhstorfer, 1902]
- Papilio memnon lowii [Druce, 1873]
- Papilio memnon merapu [Doherty, 1891]
- Papilio memnon oceani [Doherty, 1891]
- Papilio memnon perlucidus [Fruhstorfer]
- Papilio memnon pryeri [Rothschild, 1895]
- Papilio memnon tanahsahi [Eliot, 1982]
- Papilio memnon thunbergi [Siebold, 1824]
Furthermore there are many forms and variations.
Here you can see the subspecies Papilio memnon clathratus (male left; female right).
Here you can see the subspecies Papilio memnon pryeri (male left; female right).
Here you can see the subspecies Papilio memnon thunbergi (male left; female right).
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-no entry- (as at 22.05.2009)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-no entry- (as at 07.07.2009)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-no entry- (as at 2009) (see: www. redlist.org/)
Similar and closely-related species
Papilio memnon Linnaeus 1758
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: PAPILIONINI
- Genus: PAPILIO
- Specific name: MEMNON