Papilio polytes (Common Mormon, Kleiner Mormon, Mormon Commun)
Papilio polytes, also called Common Mormon is a nice
Photos for easy identification
The forewings are black. At the margin there are some whit spots.
The underside is a copy of upside.
The hind wings are black and have tails. The margin is ridged. In the middle of wing there is a chain of white spots. In back there is a blue eye.
The underside is nearly a copy of upside, but there is a second chain of little white spots and the eye is blue and red.
The body is black.
Sex differences: The Females has a broad whitish area, with many black veins or stripes on forewing. In the middle of hind wings there is a white area with some black veins. Next to the margin there is a chain of red spots. In back there is a red spot.
Here you can see some macro photographs of Papilio polytes.
The Common Mormon (Papilio polytes) is a butterfly of the Australasia / Indomalaya ecozone (Australia) and the Palaearctic ecozone (Asia). The distribution extend from Celebes, Java and the Philippines to Thailand, Myanmar and from Vietnam to the South of China, India and the North of Pakistan.
- Aegle marmelos
- Atalantia monophylla
- Citrus aurantifolia
- Citrus aurantium
- Citrus deliciosa
- Citrus hystrix
- Citrus limon
- Citrus maxima
- Citrus reticulata
- Citrus sinensis
- Clausena excavata
- Clausena lansium
- Euodia gabrifolia
- Glycosmis arborea
- Murraya koenigii
The first description of this butterfly was in 1758 by Linnaeus. There are many subspecies.
- Papilio polytes alcindor [Oberthür]
- Papilio polytes javanus [Felder]
- Papilio polytes ledebouria [Eschscholtz]
- Papilio polytes mandane [Rothschild, 1895]
- Papilio polytes messius [Fruhstorfer, 1908]
- Papilio polytes nicanor [Felder]
- Papilio polytes nikobarus [Felder]
- Papilio polytes pasikrates [Fruhstorfer]
- Papilio polytes perversus [Rothschild]
- Papilio polytes polycritos [Fruhstorfer]
- Papilio polytes romulus [Cramer, 1775]
- Papilio polytes sotira [Jordan]
- Papilio polytes stichioides [Evans, 1927]
- Papilio polytes theseus [Cramer]
- Papilio polytes thibetanus [Oberthür, 1886]
- Papilio polytes timorensis [Felder]
- Papilio polytes tucanus [Jordan]
- Papilio polytes vigellius [Fruhstorfer]
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
-no entry- (as at 14.06.2006)
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
-no entry- (as at 19.08.2005)
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
-no entry- (as at 2004) (see: www. redlist.org/)
Similar and closely-related species
Papilio polytes Linnaeus 1758
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: PAPILIONINI
- Genus: PAPILIO
- Specific name: POLYTES