Papilio ulysses (Blue Emperor, Mountain Blue)
Papilio ulysses, also called Blue Mountain Swallowtail is a butterfly from . The first description was in 1758 by Linnaeus. The wingspan is about 12 – 14 cm. This butterfly is a member of the family PAPILIONIDAE. The basic colour of Papilio ulysses is black. A large blue area dominates the wings.
Photos for easy identification
Here you can see some photos of Papilio ulysses (Blue Emperor) (male above / female below). Papilio ulysses is a member of the
The fore wings are black. A large blue area dominates the wing. Next to the blue area there are some hairy areas.
The underside is dark-brown. In the middle of the wing there is a big light-brown triangle.
The hind wings are black and they have tails. The edge is wavy. A large blue area dominates the wing.
The underside is dark-brown. At the outer edge there is a chain of big brown spots.
The body (abdomen) is dark-brown. Head and thorax are black and have some blue scales. The underside of all parts is brown.
Sex differences: The females has no hairy areas on the fore wings. The blue of the female is dull.
- Euodia bonwickii
- Euodia elleryana
- Vitex trifolia
The first description of this butterfly was in 1758 by Linnaeus. There are many subspecies.
- Papilio ulysses ambiguus [Rothschild]
- Papilio ulysses ampelius [Rothschild]
- Papilio ulysses autolycus [C. & R. Felder, 1865]
- Papilio ulysses dohertius [Rothschild]
- Papilio ulysses gabrielis [Rothschild, 1898]
- Papilio ulysses georgius [Rothschild]
- Papilio ulysses joesa [Butler, 1869]
- Papilio ulysses morotaicus [Rothschild]
- Papilio ulysses nigerrimus [Ribbe, 1898]
- Papilio ulysses orsippus [Godman & Salvin]
- Papilio ulysses oxyartes [Fruhstorfer]
- Papilio ulysses telegonus [C. & R. Felder, 1860]
- Papilio ulysses telemachus [Montrouzier]
The caterpillar is green with one white horizontal strip and some spots.
Here you can see the subspecies Papilio ulysses autolycus (male left/ female right).
Here you can see the subspecies Papilio ulysses joesa (male left/ female right).
Here you can see some macro photos of Papilio ulysses.
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
Similar and closely-related species
Papilio ulysses Linnaeus 1758
Blue Emperor, Ulysses Butterfly, Blue Mountain Swallowtail, Mountain Blue
Blauer Kaiser, Odysseusfalter, Ulysses Schwalbenschwanz
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: PAPILIONINI
- Genus: PAPILIO
- Specific name: ULYSSES