Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are dark-brown or black. Next to the body there is a green area.
The underside of Parides aeneas is dark-brown or black.
The hind wings of Parides aeneas are black. The edge is wavy. Next to the body there is a red area with black veins.
The underside is black. Some yellow spots dominate the wing.
The body (abdomen) is black. The thorax is black. The head is black. The underside of all parts is black but the thorax has red spots.
Sex differences: The basic colour of the female is brown. On the hind wings (upside and underside) there is a chain of big, yellow spots.
Parides aeneas is a butterfly from the Neotropic (South America) ecozone. You can observe this butterfly from Colombia until Brazil and Bolivia.
- Aristolochia barbata
- Aristolochia burhcelli
The first description of this butterfly was in 1758 by Linnaeus. There are twelve subspecies.
- Parides aeneas bolivar [Hewitson, 1850]
- Parides aeneas damis [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
- Parides aeneas didas [Brown & Lamas, 1994]
- Parides aeneas gabrielensis [Bryk, 1953]
- Parides aeneas huallaga [Racheli, 1988]
- Parides aeneas lamasi [Racheli, 1988]
- Parides aeneas linoides [Brown & Lamas, 1994]
- Parides aeneas locris [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
- Parides aeneas lucasi [Brown & Lamas, 1994]
- Parides aeneas marcius [Hübner, 1816]
- Parides aeneas opalinus [Butler, 1877]
- Parides aeneas tucha [Racheli, 1988]
Here you can see the subspecies Parides aeneas bolivar (male left, female right). The wingspan is about 7 - 9 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides aeneas linoides (male left, female right). The wingspan is about 8 - 9 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides aeneas marcius (male left, female right). The wingspan is about 7 - 8 cm.
Hier ist die Unterart Parides aeneas tucha zu sehen (links Männchen, rechts Weibchen). Die Flügelspannweite beträgt 8 - 9 cm.
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
Similar and closely-related species
Parides aeneas Linnaeus 1758
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: TROIDINI
- Subtribe: TROIDINA
- Genus: PARIDES
- Specific name: AENEAS