Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are dark-brown or black. A green area dominates the wing.
The underside of Parides anchises is dark-brown.
The hind wings of Parides anchises are black. The edge is wavy. A red area with black veins dominates the wing. The wings have a structure-colour.
The underside is dark-brown. Some red spots dominate the wing.
The body (abdomen) is black. The thorax is black. The head is black. The underside of all parts is black and it has red spots.
Sex differences: The basic colour of the female is brown. A large red area with black veins dominates the hind wings.
Parides anchises is a butterfly from the Neotropic (South America) ecozone. You can observe this butterfly from Mexico until Paraguay and Brazil.
- Aristolochia burchellii
- Aristolochia brazilsis
- Aristolochia bukuti
- Aristolochia colombiana
- Aristolochia cymbifera
- Aristolochia fimbriata
- Aristolochia inflata
- Aristolochia lanceolato-lorata
- Aristolochia longecaudata
- Aristolochia macroura
- Aristolochia odora
- Aristolochia ringens
- Aristolochia triangularis
The first description of this butterfly was in 1758 by Linnaeus. There are many subspecies.
- Parides anchises alyattes [C. & R. Felder, 1865]
- Parides anchises bukuti [Brévignon, 1998]
- Parides anchises chumaita [D'Abrera, 1981]
- Parides anchises cymochles [Doubleday, 1844]
- Parides anchises drucei [Butler, 1874]
- Parides anchises etias [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
- Parides anchises farfan [Brown, 1994]
- Parides anchises foetterlei [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
- Parides anchises koenigi [Racheli, 1989]
- Parides anchises marinae [Racheli, 1981]
- Parides anchises marthilia [Maza, 1999]
- Parides anchises nielseni [Bollino & Salazar, 2001]
- Parides anchises nephalion [Godart, 1819]
- Parides anchises orbignyanus [Lucas, 1852]
- Parides anchises orinocensis [Rousseau-Decelle, 1960]
- Parides anchises osyris [C. & R. Felder, 1861]
- Parides anchises serapis [Boisduval, 1836]
- Parides anchises stilbon [Kollar, 1839]
- Parides anchises thelios [Gray, 
The hind wings have a structure colour.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides anchises drucei (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 9 - 10 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides anchises etias (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 8 - 10 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides anchises nephalion (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 7 - 8 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides anchises orbignyanus (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 9 - 10 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides anchises osyris (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 7 - 8 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides anchises thelios (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 7 - 8 cm.
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
Similar and closely-related species
Parides anchises Linnaeus 1758
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: TROIDINI
- Subtribe: TROIDINA
- Genus: PARIDES
- Specific name: ANCHISES