Photos for easy identification
The fore wings are dark-brown or black. In the middle of the wing there is a yellow-green area with a yellow spot. Next to the yellow spot there is a white spot.
The underside of Parides eurimedes is dark-brown or black. Two white spots dominate the wing.
The hind wings of Parides eurimedes are black. The edge is wavy. A large, red area with black veins dominates the wing.
The underside is dark-brown. A large, red area with black veins dominates the wing.
The body (abdomen) is dark-brown. The thorax is black and it has red spots. The head is black. The underside of all parts is dark-brown and it has red spots.
Sex differences: The basic colour of the female is brown. The fore wings have a yellow area. A large orange-red area dominates the hind wings.
Parides eurimedes is a butterfly from the Neotropic (South America) ecozone. You can observe this butterfly from Mexico until Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela.
- Aristolochia sp.
The first description of this butterfly was in 1782 by Stoll. There are seven subspecies.
- Parides eurimedes agathokles [Kollar, 1850]
- Parides eurimedes antheas [Rothschild & Jordan, 1906]
- Parides eurimedes arriphus [Boisduval, 1836]
- Parides eurimedes emilius [Constantino, 1999]
- Parides eurimedes mycale [Godman & Salvin, 1890]
- Parides eurimedes mylotes [Bates, 1861]
- Parides eurimedes timias [Gray, 1853]
Here you can see the subspecies Parides eurimedes antheas (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 7 - 8 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides eurimedes arriphus (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 7 - 8 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides eurimedes mycale (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 7 - 8 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides eurimedes mylotes (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 7 - 9 cm.
Here you can see the subspecies Parides eurimedes timias (male left / female right). The wingspan is about 6 - 7 cm.
Protection provisions / Red List
- CITES: (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora):
- EU regulation on trading with species of wild Fauna and Flora
- IUCN Red List of threatened species:
Similar and closely-related species
Parides eurimedes Stoll 1783
Classification / Taxonomy / Family tree
- Kingdom: ANIMALIA
- Phylum: ARTHROPODA
- Class: INSECTA
- Order: LEPIDOPTERA
- Suborder: DITRYSIA
- Superfamily: PAPILIONOIDEA
- Family: PAPILIONIDAE
- Subfamily: PAPILIONINAE
- Tribe: TROIDINI
- Subtribe: TROIDINA
- Genus: PARIDES
- Specific name: EURIMEDES